On the theme of using up leftovers I thought I’d make some potato cakes with some leftover mashed potato. I served with leftover turkey and baked beans but I’ve made them before with sausage or bacon and baked beans or fried or scrambled egg and baked beans.
- 100g mashed potato
- 150g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- Mix the mashed potato and flour together in a bowl with a fork until it looks a bit like crumble mix.
- Add in the egg and mix with the fork, once a dough starts to form get your hands in and work together into a ball.
- Break off golf ball sized pieces of dough, shape in to a ball in your hands and flatten.
- Place approximately a tablespoon of oil (I used rapeseed but vegetable or sunflower oil would work too) in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Put the potato cakes in the pan and cook on a low-medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Keep warm on a low heat in the oven or serve immediately.