We needed some more dessert in our house so I came up with this honey and almond cake. It’s a lovely moist cake with lots of flavour. Perfect for pudding or to serve with a cup of tea! Here’s how to make it:
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g margarine
- 2 medium eggs
- 40g ground almonds
- 1tsp almond extract
- 1 dessert spoon of runny honey for the cake mix plus a further 1-2 dessert spoons of runny honey
- icing sugar and water to make some water icing (optional)
- a handful of flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 30cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the self raising flour, butter, caster sugar, ground almonds, almond extract, eggs and 1 dessert spoon of runny honey in to a bowl and mix together with an electric mixer to form a batter.
- Place the cake batter in the baking tin and cook in the oven for 20 mins (or until a skewer comes out clean)
- Take the cake out of the oven and prick all over with a fork or skewer. Whilst its still hot drizzle the cake with a further 1 or 2 dessert spoons of runny honey. Leave to cool
- Once cooled make a simple water icing and drizzle over the top of the cake in any pattern you fancy, top with a handful of flaked almonds.